Friday, July 31, 2015

Mother's Log July 2015

July 2
Kassi is officially done being a baby.  She had been asking to sleep with her sisters for a while but I kept telling her that only big girls could sleep out of the crib and she wasn't a big girl because she used a binki.  Well, about a month ago she got a bacterial infection on her lips from her binki so I finally had it and cut the tip off.  She got so mad at me!  Through her tears, she marched into her room, took her blanket, pillow, and sleeping buddies out of her crib, and went and climbed in bed with her sisters.  She hasn't had any desire to touch the crib since.  And she hasn't asked for a binki.  Just like that.  All grown up now. 

July 4
Instead of celebrating Independence Day as planned, we spent last night in urgent care. Emmy decided to go for a bike ride at our friend's home on a hill she'd never ridden, without parental consent or a helmet. Eight stitches and two hours later, we barely made it to back to where we could catch the fireworks show.  She's all red white and blue on her face today but acting like nothing happened.  I'm scarred for life!  There was so much blood and they had to stick a needle into her eyelid from the outside to the nose to get it numb enough for the stitches. This child is so wild!  This makes a total of 19 stitches on her face now (not counting the time they glued her chin back together).
While we were at urgent care, though, Emmy had every nurse ogling at her.  The one assisting us asked Emmy why she wore glasses.   Emmy responded with almost the exact words that the doctor used to explain her lazy eye and need for glasses way back in January!   I marveled aloud at Emmy for being able to remember all that.  Her was response was "I just know it BECAUSE it's in my head!"  We were right by the nurses station and that little "Because!" got every nurse laughing and several poking their heads in to peak at this uninhibited child.  She made several more comments starting with "Because" and soon all the nurses were quoting her. It was pretty cute. 
July 5
Jer and I went upstairs to go to bed last night and, once in our room, heard the sound of feet shuffling down the hall and stairway. Jeremy went downstairs to investigate and I checked on the kids.  I was surprised to see that it was Kassi who was missing from her bed!  Jeremy found her asleep on the family room floor!  We've done insomnia and night terrors with our kids so far. Is it possible that we have a sleepwalker on our hands? 
July 24
I am getting to the point where I may stop liking holidays with fireworks.  Two hours before the Independence day fireworks, Emmy split her forehead open.  Then two hours before the Pioneer Day fireworks, we were at a parade.  Sami was in this one as a SBO for her school and we cheered her on.  Then, with only ten floats left, I decided to start packing up.  Next thing Jeremy and I knew, Kassi was missing. Gone.  We couldn't see her anywhere!   We both scanned the field of people behind us but we didn't see her.  So Jeremy headed South on the parade route and I headed North.   It was almost eiry.  There was a band playing and so many people everywhere.   I seriously felt like I was in some drama movie where the evil man steals the child and leaves the mom crying out in a crowd of people and noise.  I was about ready to give up looking and turn back when I saw a police officer.   I told him I had a missing child and that's when I lost it. Saying it out loud just made it real.  He radioed it in and got all my details.  Just then a woman from my new ward came up, gave me a hug, and asked if I was OK.   It was then that I noticed I had the attention of almost every mom around me.  They all asked what she looked like and started searching. Perfect strangers were helping me look.  I had forgotten my phone so I couldn't check in with Jeremy but I suddenly felt impressed to go back.  On my way back, I saw my friend who had been watching the parade with us.  She said Jeremy had found Kassi!   Apparently,  when she heard me say I was going to start packing up to leave, she headed for the car in the parking lot behind the big field.  An older man had found her and kept her in one place until Jeremy went searching the field for the second time.  At that point, she realized she was lost and was crying. How we had both missed her the first time we looked through the field, I don't know, but I am so grateful for that man who stopped her.  And in awe of those willing to help look for her.    Thank goodness for good people!
When I got to Kassi, I picked her up and just held her.  She cried in my shoulder and said, "I lost you, Mommy." 
My heart was still racing two hours later when fireworks started but I was so glad to be home, watching from the safety of my back yard, and holding Kassi.

July 29
Kassi LOVES the water!!  She has become a little fish.  She will dive into the water and swim under it to wherever she wants to go.  However, she doesn't really know how to come up for air.  So she will swim until she suddenly realizes she needs air and then, if she can't touch, she will just stop and start looking around for something to grab and pull herself to the surface with.  It makes getting in the big pool rather nerve wracking for a parent.  Swimming lessons are almost just as bad because she will often jump off the bench and swim to her teacher, whether her teacher knows it or not.  She did learn today,  though, to swim to the surface long enough to get a gasp of air.  Then she kind of bobs there, slowly sinking, because she doesn't know how to start swimming again.

July 30
She did it again!  Kassi dissappeared on me again today at Cherry Hill water park!  We were waiting for her sisters to finish a slide and waljhng around together.  When the girls finished, they came running to tell me about the ride.  As they surrounded me, I sensed more than saw Kassi leave us.   I made my way pass the girls but too late. She was gone.   We spent the next five minutes seachibg everywhere.  Finally Sami thought to climb the stairs to the ride they had just finished and there she was, standing in line.   Sheesh!  Where's a leash?!

July 31
Emmy's birthday was this week.  She turned SIX!  She was so funny.  Whenever we are celebrating someone else, she gets cranky because nothing is about her.  But on her actual Birthday, she is the biggest Birthday Sweetie!  She was super sweet to everyone--especially her sisters!
She gave up her towel after swim lessons because Kassi was shivering so much.
She was also super cute!  She got a ladybug umbrella as one of her gifts and spent the whole day under it to "keep the sun off."  She was more than happy to let others under it with her if they felt too hot. 
Emmy did have her moments of not wanting others to touch her presents without her but when I asked her what her favorite part of the day was, she said, "It was mostly about being with my friends and my family"
And when I told her that her day had to end, she sighed, smiled, looked me in the eyes and said, "That's okay."  
I love this girl!!  She can be overwhelming in her energy sometimes but she has the biggest heart.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment