Thursday, July 2, 2015

Mother's Log June 2015

I turn 33 this month.  Double three's!  (Funny enough, it's a month of 3's as Kassi turns 3 the end of the month.  That's okay.  3 is my favorite number!)  I feel old and yet young at the same time.   Because I was so young when I had Sami, I tend to run in circles with women who are older than I am.  So everywhere I go, I feel like a baby.  At the same time, 33 feels so much older than 32.  Probably because I'm pregnant and my body just feels achy all the time.  But being in your 30's is just so different from your 20's... All of sudden, you're very aware that you are not invincible.  That your body is aging.  Wrinkles and grey hairs start appearing and you actually start questioning that decision you made in your 20's to age gracefully and not fight it.  :)  Hopefully, the desire to raise five daughters who love themselves in the bodies they have will keep me from letting my pride get the better of me.
June 4
Sami graduated from elementary school today.  Waaaaaaa!!!!
I'm so tired.  I have been going constantly for three days. Field day, meetings, end of school activities and gifts for teachers, celebrations.  I have had almost every hour scheduled.  I have eaten out for 6 out of my last 9 meals.  and I still haven't recovered from three days of recitals and the last soccer game of the season all with a hubby out of town that I went through last week.  Feeling my age and pregnancy here.
June 5
School is done!!  It's the first day of Summer Break!!! 
And Jeremy and I spent the morning at a funeral.  Jeremy's good friend lost his son last week.  The boy was only 15.  What an incredible experience the funeral was, though.  Both parents spoke and bore testimony that their son was in good hands, with a loving Heavenly Father and Savior.  It was such a powerful meeting.  Jeremy and I were truly touched.  The selfless expressions of faith and understanding of these two people was such an example to me. 
While we were gone, though, the piccolos
(Em and Al) decided to hold the beta for some reason. We've had that fish for two years and today they decide to hold it.  So random...  anyway, we'll just say the fish didn't make it.  So we came home to a mess of fish water and a dead fish.  The thing that got me was the extreme lack of remorse on the part of the piccolos.  Should I be concerned??  One thing is for sure:  we will not be replacing the fish any time soon.
June 10
The older girls have started swim lessons but I didn't think Kassi was old enough so I did not put her in.  Big mistake. I thought we could just stay and swim after at open swim and that would make it OK but I was very wrong.  Kassi was miserable.  Then I found out she was actually old enough so I put her in a couple days late. Today was her first day of lessons and she was so happy!  Afterwards she exclaimed "that was so fun!"
On that same note, Kassi was moping yesterday about not getting to swim.  She was in a little sun dress with panties but had snuck a swim diaper and swim suite into the pool bag before we left the house. She was so mad at me that I wouldn't put the suite on her.  So she was walking around moping.  At one point, she looked over her shoulder at the lessons in the big pool and accidentally walked right off the edge into the kiddy pool!  She was shocked and drenched.  And I didn't have any more clothes for her so I put her in a too big swim cover and a diaper.  What upset her the most?  Her panties got wet and she had to put a diaper on.   :(  poor baby. ;)
Going back another day, we did stay and swim for over three hours after lessons on Monday.   I put sunscreen on everyone when we arrived at the pool but completely forgot to reapply (we had only been planning on staying an hour or two).  When we got home, everyone was bright red.  Sometimes I feel like such an awesome mom... not.
June 16
So that was last week. Yesterday we showed up for swim lessons and Kassi didn't want to do it.  She wouldn't even get in the big pool. She wanted to play in the little pool.   Her class eventually moved to the little pool and she got in but would not participate. I realized that, due to chilly weather last week, we had gone home after every swim lesson and not stayed to play. Maybe she thought that if she went to lessons she would not get to play later.  So I made sure to give her lots of free play time after lessons and told her this morning that if she went to class she would have lots of fun play time.  Today... was even worse.  She didn't want to go to class. She wanted to play in the little pool. She wanted to play on the slide. She wanted a sucker.  (All things I told her I would let her have/do if she went to class)  but she DID NOT want to go to class. She wouldn't even go near them when they moved to the small pool. She did sit on the side and start screaming when they went diving for rings because that's her favorite thing to do. But she wouldn't join them. When they finished with the rings and moved to something else, she had a full blown tantrum.  It got to the point where I had to chase her while she wailed around the pool.  Once I finally got her (and the attention of every person at the pool) we went straight to the car where I had to use every bit of strength I had to wrestle her into the carseat.  She has been thrashing and screaming at me for 20 minutes now while we wait for her sisters to finish their lessons.  In the world of stubbornness,  this child takes the cake.  I am contemplating never returning to that pool...
June 18
I'm so grateful  for a husband who is able to give sound advice when I'm a wreck.  After the experience at the pool two days ago, I was determined we were finished with lessons.  Why on earth would I want to torture both of us again!?  But Jeremy had an idea and talked me into taking her back and trying one more time.  This time, though, we arrived early and Kassi was not in her swimsuit.  I acted as if we were only there to have the other girls take their lessons.  Kassi watched for a minute and then said she wanted to swim.  I reminded her that it wasn't time for play swimming.  If she swam, it would be with her teacher for her lesson.  And that if she went to class, we would have lots of playtime in the pool later that day.  She immediately announced that she wanted to go to class!  And she went!!  Both yesterday and today without giving me any trouble.  Jeremy calls it a joint triumph since I stuck to my guns and refused to let her swim for fun the day she threw the tantrum and he talked me into taking her back but making it her idea.  I call it an interesting insight on a certain daughter's stubborn streak.
June 21
It's Father's Day.  A bitter-sweet day really.  Very sweet because I took time to recognize the wonderful husband and father I am married to and what a good man he is.  He is an amazing companion for me, father for our girls, and provider for all of us.  I don't know what I would do without him.  And sweet because we spent the day in Idaho with Jeremy's family celebrating the his Grandpa who is still with us and doing well.  What a blessing!  But it's also been terribly bitter as it's the first Father's Day I have not had a father of my own to call.  I miss him very much.
June 27
Kassi turned three this week!  THREE!  My baby is officially a BIG Girl.  And she won't be the baby much longer... That's always the worst part about having another baby--It makes your previous youngest look so big!  I will do a birthday post for her soon so more to come!  
June 30
After almost 13 years of marriage, we have finally gotten into the habit of constant family scripture study!  We do it every weekday morning and I have really noticed a change in my days because of it.  There was a conference talk in April about the importance of arming our children with righteousness before sending them off to school or play.  I hope that our family scripture and prayer time is doing that.  We keep it simple.  We read one column which usually means everyone gets one verse.  We're not in a race to get through it so it works just fine.  Emmy is starting to get better at reading and will read all the small words in her verse then repeat the bigger words with us helping her.  Kassi is still at the age of just repeating after us but she's noticed the way Emmy is doing her verse, so after whatever we tell her to say she throws in random words like "and" "of" "or" and "the."  It's become very humorous.  

No comments:

Post a Comment