Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Mother's Log March 2014

Mar 4:
Jeremy is out of town most of this month with various different cases in various parts of the country. Today he left for Washington DC  for a couple days. Kassi helped him put his suitcase in his car and when it came time to leave, she ran to him and begged to be picked up. Then she gave him a nice long hug. She understood completely what that suitcase meant. When he called to say goodnight to the girls tonight, she stole the phone and talked with him the entire time. Kassi really loves her daddy.

I am so proud of Sami!  She was having friend issues at school and she stood up for herself and her principles.  Some of her friends were wanting to exclude others who always try to take over games and whatnot.  Sami told them that, where she understood their concerns, she didn't think it was right to be mean and exclude others. She's so awesome!  And a good example to her mother.

Had an interesting morning. Here is part of the email I sent Jeremy at noon:
First I accidentally drove carpool with Sami's contacts in instead of my own. My eyes are much worse than hers!  It took me a while to figure out why everything still seemed so blurry.  And it gave me a headache.
Then Emmy insisted on wearing her heels to dance class even though it was raining and ran in the door of the studio, slipped on the floor, and hit the back of her head on their crazy hard floor. They are going to get sewed someday-that's Emmy's second injury on that floor. She cried for a while but she wasn't bleeding and didn't have a concussion so eventually she decided to dance. All her classmates gave her a group hug! She got her costume. It's red sparkles and leopard print. It's actually pretty cute!  They are doing "Animal Crackers in my Soup."
Then I went and bought lightbulbs for the front of the house and air filters.  Kassi threw the lightbulbs out of the cart and shattered them. 
I just finished dropping Emmy and Mia at preschool in the pouring down rain. I will be picking up too because Mia's basement is flooding. I think they are having a more eventful day than I am.
Kassi fell asleep in the car. I need a nap. Or a workout.

Mar 5:
Kassi has become a little copy cat. And her favorite person to copy is Emmy. Right now, the two of them are lying cockeyed on the floor while they eat a snack. Kassi is a very carefully set replica of her sister's positioning.  A few days ago, they were eating while sitting next to each other (in the bathtub--don't ask...) And Kassi was copying every tiny movement of her sister. Every bite, shift in weight, even brushing a piece of hair out of her face was repeated.  It was rather adorable.

Mar 7:
Sami has been working long and hard on her History Fair project and found out today that she made it to Districts!!

Mar 13:
Jeremy has been gone all week with work. I was striking from laundry as a way of giving myself one less thing to do. That didn't last long, though, as Emmy informed me yesterday that she has run out of panties. (She somehow manages to go through several pair a day claiming that the tiniest drop on them makes them unsuitable for wearing another second.)  So I broke down and did a couple loads of girls' clothes. As the first load containing all the panties finished washing, Emmy came to me in my bedroom with a piece of paper and a bare bum. She had drawn a map of the house--a sort of treasure map.  She had very specific and elaborate instructions on how we were going to get from my bedroom, "sneak past Kassi" in the family room, and eventually, after visiting most rooms in the house, make it to the laundry room where we would get her some panties. After trying really hard not to laugh, I had to upset her with news that her panties were not dry yet.

Mar 15:
I taught Sami how to do her own laundry today. She is now responsible for getting it done herself every week and it saves me from having to do one load. Maybe there is something good about your kids growing up too fast....

Mar 17:
Sami is currently at the Districts History Fair. Parents aren't allowed in the room...  But she keeps emailing from her Kindle with updates. She is totally calm!  Her biggest concern--boredom. Seriously, this kid is too big!  I am a wreck!

Mar 19:
She took third place at the history fair and is going on to Regionals!!!

Mar 23:
Jeremy has been gone a lot. Last Sunday he had to leave right after church to catch a plane. He went on three different trips this last week, being gone one night, home one night, gone two nights, home one night, gone one night, home one night. But the nights he was here, he didn't fly in until late.  And I stole him for a date night last night. To top off the travel and prep for the travel, he had to get a long brief out the door by last night and gave a talk in church today. The poor guy has been sooo stressed!  But he's been his amazing self and pulled through (with endless support from his incredible wife ;)). Anyway, I think the girls have been missing him because they have not left him alone all day. They have been begging him to play games, push them on swings, and tickle them. At one point, when we were trying to take a rest, they came running in wanting Dad to play with them.  The little pleading looks they gave him were so darling!!! Emmy had her sweetest smile on and ALLY was giving him some seriously impressive batting eyes. I'm not sure where she got that look but it was priceless!  I will have to see if I can get a picture of it sometime. Jeremy leaves again on Tuesday for two nights. This boy is too busy. 

Mar 24:
We were swinging at the park. Kassi was next to a little girl that looked about two years old. The little girl noticed Kassi's binki and mentioned it to her mom (apparently she is to the point where she only gets her binki at night--a point we need to get Kassi to). The mom mentioned her daughter noticing the binki and I commented that "We really need to take that away.". Hearing my comment, Kassi immediately pulled her binki out of her mouth and handed it to me. That was two hours ago and she hasn't asked for it since!

Then on the way home, I heard Kassi singing along with Taylor Swift's Trouble on the radio. "Oh! Oh! Tubbo, Tubbo, Tubbo!" Should I be concerned?

Mar 25:
Sami took third place at the regional history fair!!!  Go Sami!!

Mar 26:
Jeremy went out of town again yesterday. Last night Ally slept with his picture by her pillow. And today she took it to school with her and kept it on top of her backpack in her locker.  I am so glad this month is almost over and next week we get Jeremy to ourselves.

Mar 29:
Today was the Historical General Woman's Meeting for the Church. It was the first time since 1992 that they've included all female members of the church, ages 8 and up. They had a choir made up of women from Northern Utah. Sami and I had applied to be in the choir. Sadly, they had over a thousand qualified applicants and could only accept about 350.  They did it by lottery--I have never been good at winning lotteries. I tried not to get my hopes up but it's always been a dream of mine to sing in the Conference Center. I must admit I was a little bummed. However, since we weren't in the choir, we were able to watch the conference from our hotel room in Las Vegas, on our way to Disneyland. Jer took the little gals swimming while Sami and I snuggled on the couch and watched the conference on the laptop. At one point, the background got dark and I could see Sami's and my reflection in the screen. Our two faces next to each other. Everyone says she looks exactly like me but I know she will grow up to far surpass me in beauty. She caught my eyes in the computer as I watched her reflection and we both giggled. Then she turned and kissed my cheek. I was suddenly very happy we were not in the Conference Center. We were spending time just the two of us, sharing a moment that I would never trade for the chance to sing for anyone. I love Sami so much. I am so proud of the young lady she is becoming.

Sami is 10 1/2. 18 more months and I have a Young Woman. Yikes.

Today marks two years since we lost Mike. It's crazy.  Things have just stayed busy.  We've all just kept going.  We miss him. There is a significant vacancy in our lives. But we know we will see him again.  At times we can feel him near us. The Savior has mended us and the days keep coming and going. Life goes on... until we see him again.

Mar 30
Kassi has two new words: "Plane" due to all the planes that flew over our hotel in Las Vegas (won't be staying there again) and "Buckle" used to inform us that she wants her car seat unbuckled and she is sick of sitting in it (it took us three hours to get from Vegas to Barstow. When will we learn not to make that drive on a Sunday??) 

Kassi is a home body. Through and through.  This child is not easy to travel with. Can't wait to get home on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment